- Members Only
- History Lessons
- Curator's Corner
- Riveting Stories
- Member Profiles
- This Day in H-D History
History, with all The Dust Blown Off
Traveling into the past is a thrill when you ride with Harley-Davidson.
1939 Model G Servi-Car
The specs: 45 ci sidevalve engine with 3-speed handshift transmission, painted Teak Red and Black. It has a permanently attached tubular towbar that was used to pull the vehicle behind an automobile. “Cat’s eye” instrument panel, which was new in 1939. A total of 320 Model Gs were built in 1939.
Servi-Cars were popular vehicles because they could be used to deliver a variety of goods and services. Harley-Davidson built them for over 30 years, and the first bike with an electric start was actually a Servi-Car in 1964.
The story: This motorcycle was purchased new in 1938 by John A. Stanton of Babylong, NY for use in his Dodge-Plymouth dealership as a pick-up and delivery vehicle. It is believed he closed the dealership in 1948 because that is the year of the license plate. The motorcycle has original paint with the lettering of the dealership still legible on the fenders and box.
The vehicle remained in the family and was donated to the Archives in 1998 by Stanton's daughter and grandson. It is currently on display on the upper level of the museum in an area dedicated to service vehicles.
|Adults (18-64 years):||$18|
|Children (5-17 years):||$10|
|Children (under 5):||Free with Adult|
|Seniors (65+):||$12 (with ID)|
|Military & Students:||$12 (with ID)|
|H-D Museum Members:||Free|
Hours and location
May-September - Daily: 9am-6pm
October-April - Daily: 10am-6pm
400 W Canal Street
Milwaukee, WI 53201
1-877-HD-MUSEUM or 414-287-2789