Milwaukee (June 6, 2011) -
Bruce Rossmeyer's Daytona Racing rider Chris Fillmore emerged victorious from a classic multi-rider drafting battle to earn his second season victory in the AMA Pro Racing Vance & Hines XR1200 Series race Sunday at Road America in Elkhart Lake, Wis. The top seven riders were separated by just 0.955 second at the end of the 7-lap race.
Several riders took turns at the head of the lead pack, including Danny Eslick (Bruce Rossmeyer's Daytona Racing), Michael Barnes (Drag Specialties), Steve Rapp (Parts Unlimited), and Fillmore. Other riders in the mix included Travis Wyman (Harv's Harley-Davidson), Michael Beck (J&P Cycles), and Shawn Higbee (WFO Racing), with riders swapping the lead sometimes several times per lap as they drafted and outbraked each other on the 4-mile track's three long straights. As the final lap approached, riders planned their strategies for the run up to the checkered flag out of Canada Corner, the penultimate corner of the 14-turn course.
"The Harleys push a pretty big hole in the air, and if you're the fourth or fifth guy in line you can get a pretty good head of steam. Generally somebody would pass me back going into Canada Corner, which is perfect. That's what I was hoping for the last lap and it just didn't work out," said Eslick, who eased up enough to allow Fillmore to pass but couldn't make the gap back up in the run up to the finish line. "The draft was a huge part of the race today, and Chris definitely outsmarted me on that one."
"[Eslick] wanted to give me the position all the way just before coming up into Canada corner. He pretty much checked up and I got a good run," Fillmore said. "You really can't make up much time there, so I figured I could make a little bit of a jump and cross my fingers and hoped that nobody got me at start/finish. And it worked. I think it was the only lap that nobody passed me on the front straight."
Third place finisher Travis Wyman, who hurried from the post-race podium ceremony to make the start of the Supersport race, went on to win that race for his first AMA Pro victory.
The AMA Pro Racing Vance & Hines XR1200 Series returns to action June 18-19 at Barber Motorsports Park in Leeds, AL.
Road America Race Result:
1. Chris Fillmore (RMR/Bruce Rossmeyer's Daytona Racing), 7 laps
2. Danny Eslick (RMR/Bruce Rossmeyer's Daytona Racing), +0.127 second
3. Travis Wyman (Harv's Harley-Davidson), +.258
4. Michael Barnes (Drag Specialties), +395
5. Steve Rapp (Parts Unlimited), +.463
6. Shawn Higbee (WFO Racing), +.692
7. Michael Beck (J&P Cycles), +.955
8. Tyler O'Hara (GPBikeParts.com), +3.209
9. Kyle Wyman (RMR/Bruce Rossmeyer's Daytona Racing), +13.982
10. Michael Corbino (RMR/Bruce Rossmeyer's Daytona Racing), +29.389
11. Michael Morgan (Python Exhaust), +54.337
12. Paul James (James Gang/Hoban Brothers/H-D of Appleton), +57.276
13. Bryan Desimone (Kuryakyn), +1:33.102
14. Matthew Heidel (Shar-Tuff), +1:42.010
15. Gerry Signorelli (Kuryakyn), -2 laps, crash
16. Chase McFarland (Latus Motors Racing), -3 laps, crash
17. Nicholas Hansen, -4 laps, DNF
18. Josh Chisum (Troy Lee Designs), -5 laps, DNF
19. Sammy Halbert (HOG Racing), -6 laps, DNF
XR1200 Series Points Standings
1. Chris Fillmore, 110
2. Steve Rapp, 87
3. Kyle Wyman, 63
4. Michael Barnes, 62
5. Michael Beck, 59
6. Danny Eslick, 50
7. Michael Corbino, 49
8. Chase McFarland, 48
9. Tyler O'Hara, 46
10. Joe Kopp, 45
Harley-Davidson Motor Company produces heavyweight custom, cruiser and touring motorcycles
and offers a complete line of Harley-Davidson motorcycle parts, accessories, riding gear and apparel, and general merchandise. For more information, visit harley-davidson.com.