MILWAUKEE (August 18, 2013) - Two new Boom!™ Box infotainment systems developed by the Harley-Davidson Project RUSHMORE team deliver eye-popping, ear-pleasing audio performance and a comprehensive suite of information technologies. Engineered to meet the expectations of connected consumers accustomed to interactive automotive electronics, the Boom!™ Box 4.3 and Boom!™ Box 6.5GT combine audio, communications, navigation and vehicle information into a single infotainment module. Boom! Box systems take the riding experience to a new level of enjoyment and convenience, and are featured as Original Equipment on select 2014 Harley-Davidson Touring and Trike models.
The Harley-Davidson Boom! Box infotainment systems offer quality audio through radio, satellite and external sources; Bluetooth® connectivity to external mobile phones; voice recognition and text-to-speech technology; and GPS navigation, plus support for intercom and CB communications. The entire Boom! Box unit is mounted within the motorcycle fairing for added security and contemporary design. Five-way joysticks on the left and right motorcycle hand controls connect the rider to most Boom! Box system functions. Within the motorcycle segment, a Harley-Davidson Boom! Box system offers unmatched features, usability, styling, and sound.
Boom! Box 4.3
The Boom! Box 4.3 infotainment system is Original Equipment on the 2014 Harley-Davidson Street Glide and Electra Glide Ultra Classic motorcycle models. Its features include:
- High-resolution 4.3-inch color screen with auto and manual dim functions.
- Audio output is 25 watts per channel through either a two-channel or four-channel system, depending on the model. Distortion is limited to just 1 percent so the volume can be set louder without compromising audio clarity. Accessory external amplifiers rated at 75 watts per channel will be available.
- The Original Equipment 5.25-inch speakers are optimized to the system. Speaker enclosures are sealed and tuned. The Electra Glide Ultra Classic features a bass port to the Tour-Pak. The enclosures are designed to accept 6.5-inch Boom! Audio accessory speakers.
- Equalization is optimized for the motorcycle environment and automatically adjusts the bass and treble levels with the volume for optimal sound quality at all motorcycle speeds.
- The Boom! Box 4.3 is Bluetooth capable for pairing a mobile phone. An Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP) streaming audio Bluetooth interface transmits high-quality audio. Using a wired headset the rider can make and receive calls without leaving the motorcycle hand controls, and stream music directly from the phone.
- If the Bluetooth-connected mobile phone is compatible, then receiving and auto replying to Short Messages Services (SMS) can be viewed and listened to through the Boom! Box system (in US English only).
- The Voice Recognition (VR) system gives the rider the ability to initiate voice-operated commands to a connected mobile phone (in US English only).
- The new Jukebox compartment on the fairing dash features a USB port for charging and playing electronic devices, including Apple iPod/iPhone and other MP3 sources, an SD card, and mobile phones. Apple iPod and iPhone functions are available through the hand controls. When connected to a smartphone, the rider can access music apps such as Pandora and Spotify. The Jukebox compartment features a cushioned bottom and water-resistant foam seal around the one-touch door.
- Large faceplate buttons on the Boom! Box 4.3 are designed for easy use while wearing gloves.
- All infotainment functions are controlled through thumb-operated five-way joysticks located on the left and right hand control areas.
- Radio functions include AM and FM bands plus WB (weather). All radio functions are available though hand controls.
- Boom! Box 4.3 supports CB radio and voice-activated (VOX) intercom functions.
- A selectable Vehicle Information screen displays ambient air temperature, oil pressure, and Engine Idle Temperature Management Strategy (EITMS).
Boom! Box 6.5GT
The Boom! Box 6.5GT infotainment system is Original Equipment on the 2014 Harley-Davidson Street Glide Special, Ultra Limited, and Tri-Glide motorcycle models, and is a factory-installed option on the Electra Glide Ultra Classic model. Its features include:
- All of the features found on the Boom! Box 4.3.
- High-resolution 6.5-inch color touch screen with both auto and manual dim functions.
- Full-color GPS navigation system with more than 35 features including: Digital Terrain Modeling; navigation route options (Scenic, Fastest, Shortest or Twisty); extensive Point of Interest (POI) search including nearest gas stations, restaurants and hotels, emergency destinations and Harley-Davidson dealership locations; voice recognition for navigation input; and import/export route capability through H-D Ride Planner. A “dead reckoning” feature aids navigation in downtown areas with tall buildings and tunnels with accuracy greater than cell phones and aftermarket navigation devices.
- Sirius/XM satellite radio is an option available through Harley-Davidson Genuine Motor Accessories, and requires the additional purchase of hardware P/N 76000351.
- When equipped with a headset, voice recognition is available for controlling mobile phone functions, media, radio tuner, navigation, help and other commands in the following languages: English (US and British), Spanish (Mexican and Castilian), French, German, Italian, and Portuguese (EU) .
Harley-Davidson Motor Company produces heavyweight custom, cruiser and touring motorcycles and offers a complete line of Harley-Davidson motorcycle parts, accessories, riding gear and apparel, and general merchandise. For more information, visit Harley-Davidson's website at www.h-d.com/rushmore.