MILWAUKEE (August 18, 2013) - Harley-Davidson has created a new generation of American freedom machines. In the largest scale new model launch in the company’s 110-year history, Project RUSHMORE encompasses eight new motorcycles that feature improved power and braking performance, enhanced rider ergonomics, and dramatic styling updates that completely redefine and fundamentally transform the touring motorcyclist’s experience.
Countless ideas. Thousands of hours of research and testing. Eight extraordinary motorcycles. Project RUSHMORE introduces technology and design enhancements that will recalibrate the expectations of the touring motorcyclist: Savvy electronic controls and infotainment. Aerodynamics born in the wind tunnel. Bodywork shaped by the most-respected styling team in the industry. Comfort good for endless miles and, of course, more American V-Twin power. The road trip will never be the same.
Project RUSHMORE is the result of an entirely new way to produce motorcycles. In a process that invokes the voice of the customer throughout an accelerated development program, the ideas and dreams of thousands of motorcyclists are allowed to percolate with those of Harley-Davidson employees.
“Project RUSHMORE is a pure expression of our relationship with our customers and a shared passion for riding motorcycles,” said Mark-Hans Richer, Harley-Davidson Senior Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer. “It’s resulted in some outstanding innovations, but from day one we’ve been focused on taking the total rider and passenger experience to the next level. We come together - to quote the Beatles - through a process that uses not just formal feedback, but the kind of input we get from listening to customers out on the road, and then we blend that with our engineering and styling expertise. For years at Harley-Davidson we’ve been saying that we ride with you. Project RUSHMORE elevates that devotion to a higher level.”
Building on the technological foundation that established the company’s dominant leadership in the touring motorcycle segment, eight new 2014 Harley-Davidson models, including Road King®, Street Glide®, Street Glide® Special, Electra Glide® Ultra Classic®, Ultra Limited, Tri Glide® Ultra, CVO Ultra Limited and CVO Road King® feature innovative Project RUSHMORE-inspired enhancements. They slot into four customer-defined categories:
Control: Project RUSHMORE bikes pass faster, stop quicker and see farther at night, thus inspiring rider confidence. Each model features the new Twin-Cooled™ High Output Twin Cam 103™ or the High Output Twin Cam 103™ powertrain – both with fuel injection, Reflex™ Linked Brakes with ABS (Anti-Lock Braking System), and Daymaker™ LED and Dual Halogen lighting.
Infotainment: New color-screen Boom! ™ Box infotainment systems feature the first original-equipment voice recognition and touchscreen for music, GPS navigation and phone in motorcycling, with quality audio, Bluetooth® connectivity, text-to-speech technology, plus support for intercom and CB communications in a single module.
Feel: Aerodynamics and ergonomics come together to improve comfort -- from the new Batwing fairing with splitstream venting, which reduces head buffeting by 20 percent, to best-in-class ride for passengers with wider and deeper seats and new back and arm rests.
Style: The form and the function of many components are improved – a larger Tour-Pak® and saddlebags with convenient One-Touch latches, sleeker fenders, lighter cast aluminum wheels and intuitive hand control switches.
(See separate releases for details on the elements of Project RUSHMORE.)
Additional Harley-Davidson 2014 Motorcycle News
Additional headlines from the 2014 Harley-Davidson lineup include the restyled Fat Bob® model, the availability of anti-lock brakes on all five 2014 Sportster models and the continued integration of H-D1™ Factory Customization.
- The Dark Custom styling of the Fat Bob model gets a make-over from Harley-Davidson Styling and now projects a new assertive authority. Highlights include a new slash-cut rear fender with a recessed twin-ring LED tail lamp. Then black replaces chrome everywhere, including the powertrain, air cleaner cover, rear shock covers, triple clamps, headlamp trim rings, console and battery box cover. The Aluminum Slotted Disc wheels are powdercoated black and finished with a laser-engraved Harley-Davidson logo and rim stripe.
- The new Harley-Davidson® Street Glide® Special is a “fully loaded” version of the popular performance Touring model equipped with a High Output Twin Cam 103™ powertrain, Boom! Box 6.5GT infotainment system, Batwing fairing with splitstream vent, Dual Halogen headlamp, Enforcer cast aluminum wheels and Reflex™ Linked Brakes with ABS.
- All five 2014 Harley-Davidson Sportster® models are available with the confidence-inspiring control of ABS (Anti-lock Braking System). The Sportster line also features new hand controls and brake components, improved service access, and an optional keyless H-D® Smart Security System with a proximity-based, hands-free security fob. (See separate releases for more details on the 2014 Sportster line.)
- The 2014 CVO series of limited-production motorcycles features the new CVO™ Softail® Deluxe model, a premium custom touring motorcycle equipped with a detachable windscreen with GPS navigation, Daymaker LED lighting, detachable saddlebags and of course the bold paint and big Screamin’ Eagle powertrain that’s always part of the CVO program. The CVO™ Road King® and super-premium CVO™ Limited return with new features and Project RUSHMORE enhancements. The bold CVO™ Breakout® Softail® chopper returns with three dazzling new paint schemes. (See separate releases for more details on the 2014 CVO line.)
- H-D1™ Factory Customization: The web-based program that allows customers to select factory-installed options that personalize fit, function and style to the Sportster® 1200 Custom and Street Bob® offers new color options for both bikes, including two new custom paint sets for the Sportster 1200 Custom: Charcoal Pearl Eagle Graphic and Mysterious Red Paisley Skull in addition to new Hard Candy Custom color options. By using the online Bike Builder customers may choose from different wheels, paint and engine finishes to dramatically alter the look of the motorcycle. In addition, to fit the motorcycle to each customer different combinations of foot-control locations, seat choices and handlebars can be selected. Customers can expect to be riding their new bike in as little as four weeks from the time an H-D1 order is placed with an authorized Harley-Davidson dealer.
- The V-Rod family now has ABS as standard equipment and new paint colors and graphics are available on the Muscle® and Night Rod® Special.
- The Twin Cam 103™ powertrain is now standard equipment on the Street Bob® and Super Glide® Custom models, both part of the smooth-handling Dyna line.
- Six Harley-Davidson Softail® models offer traditional hard-tail lines with modern ride and handling thanks to suspension components hidden within the frame rails. Introduced mid-year 2013, the long and low-slung Breakout® is an urban chopper with authentic swagger, distinctive finishes and specific components not available on other Harley-Davidson bikes.
Harley-Davidson Motor Company produces heavyweight custom, cruiser and touring motorcycles and offers a complete line of Harley-Davidson motorcycle parts, accessories, riding gear and apparel, and general merchandise. For more information, visit Harley-Davidson's website at www.harley-davidson.com.