MILWAUKEE (August 18, 2013) - That guy who said less is more is not part of the Harley-Davidson Project RUSHMORE team – when it comes to motorcycle control, more is always more. To that end Project RUSHMORE delivers 2014 Harley-Davidson Touring and Trike models with more power, improved headlamp performance, and new Reflex™
Linked Brakes with ABS (Anti-lock Braking System).
These upgrades enhance rider control in a variety of situations. More roll-on power produces brisker passing performance. Brilliant headlamps illuminate the night and make the motorcycle conspicuous to others. Reflex™ Linked Brakes with ABS is the ultimate rider-control tool when road conditions are less than ideal. Whether the ride is a cross-country ramble or a Saturday night cruise, these elements of Project RUSHMORE inspire rider confidence.
Project RUSHMORE Control Features include:
- High Output Twin Cam 103™: Harley-Davidson powertrain engineers working with Project RUSHMORE tuned the new High Output Twin Cam 103™ engine specifically to deliver more passing power. Equipped with a new camshaft to optimize bottom-end torque and a new high-flow airbox, the HO Twin Cam 103 delivers 5 percent more torque than the standard Twin Cam 103™ powertrain in a Touring configuration. The result is a dramatic improvement in 60-to-80 mph roll-on acceleration in fifth gear, the kind of real-world power that hustles a rider back into the right-hand lane, or up the mountain briskly, even with a passenger and gear on board. The new airbox has the added comfort-enhancing benefit of improving legroom and airflow around the rider. The HO Twin Cam 103 is Original Equipment on the 2014 Harley-Davidson Road King®, Street Glide®, Street Glide® Special, and Electra Glide® Ultra Classic® motorcycle models.
- Twin-Cooled™ High Output Twin Cam 103™: Designed to maintain performance in the most-challenging situations, the new Twin-Cooled™ High Output Twin Cam 103™ powertrain is featured in the 2014 Ultra Limited and Tri Glide™ Ultra models. A combination of air-cooled and precision liquid cooling strategies allow the Twin-Cooled High Output 103 to maintain peak performance under the most demanding loads and riding conditions, and enables a higher 10.1:1 compression ratio for increased power and efficiency. The Twin-Cooled High Output 103 offers 10.7 percent more peak torque than the standard Twin Cam 103 engine. Liquid coolant is routed through the cylinder heads in the area around the exhaust valves and then to ducted heat exchangers located in the left and right fairing lowers. The precision cooling system is thermostatically controlled, and uses an electric pump to circulate coolant. The Twin-Cooled High Output 103 may also improve thermal comfort to the rider and passenger in extreme conditions, such as stop-and-go traffic in high ambient temperatures. Cylinder head temperatures are lower, the airbox shape improves airflow, and reshaped fairing lowers improve venting of air to the rider and passenger.
- New Hydraulic Clutch Control: All 2014 Touring and Trike models except the Road King are equipped with a new hydraulic clutch control that maintains the previous cable clutch-lever effort despite stronger clutch springs fitted to these 2014 models. The hydraulic clutch also does not require periodic adjustment or service, provides consistent engagement and modulation in all operating conditions, and provides consistent clutch-lever effort over the life of the vehicle. The 2014 Tri Glide Ultra is equipped with a new Assist and Slip (A&S) clutch. The Assist feature increases torque capacity at times of high demand while keeping lever efforts low. The Slip feature enables smooth downshifts and engine braking. Clutch lever effort on the Tri Glide is reduced by 23 percent.
- Reflex™ Linked Brakes with ABS: All 2014 Harley-Davidson Touring models are available with the new Reflex Linked Brakes with ABS as either Original Equipment or as a factory-installed option. Reflex Linked Brakes combine ABS with electronically linked brakes that dynamically optimize front/rear brake balance. Linked braking is activated when the motorcycle is above 20 to 25 mph. If braking is initiated at slower speeds the front and rear brakes function independently. When linked braking is active, applying the front, rear or both brake controls will apply braking force to both the front and rear brakes in a proportion determined by the Reflex Linked Brakes system to optimize performance. The braking will stay linked as speed drops below the 20-25 mph threshold. Reflex Linked Brakes incorporates ABS to further help the rider maintain control during braking events, especially those that happen in less-than-optimal conditions. Reflex Linked Brakes with ABS are Original Equipment on the 2014 Street Glide Special, Electra Glide Ultra Classic and Ultra Limited Harley-Davidson motorcycle models, and a factory-installed option on the Road King and Street Glide models.
- Tri Glide Ultra Linked Brakes: The new Tri Glide Ultra linked brake system allows the rider to apply both the front and rear brakes through the rear brake pedal. This is accomplished by actuating two pistons of each new six-piston front caliper when using the rear brake pedal. This provides more than 30 percent more brake responsiveness when the rear pedal is applied. The full front brake system is applied only through the front brake lever and remains independent. A new Tri Glide Ultra parking brake system uses a foot pedal on the rider’s left side to activate the rear parking brakes.
- Daymaker™ LED Lighting: The Daymaker LED headlight and Daymaker LED fog lamps deliver a lighting pattern that is highly focused with outstanding “punch” into the darkness. The light quality closely mimics that of natural daylight to further enhance visibility, and its bright-white color is conspicuous in traffic. The Daymaker headlamp has two D-shaped lenses: one that focuses light into a pool directly in front of the bike for outstanding low-beam illumination, and another separate high-beam projector that delivers a super-bright, focused beam to penetrate deep into the darkness. Daymaker LED lighting is Original Equipment on the 2014 Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Ultra Limited, and Tri Glide Ultra Harley-Davidson motorcycle models.
- Dual Halogen Lighting: The new Dual Halogen headlamp significantly outperforms a single-element halogen headlamp in high-beam situations because the low beam is also illuminated, increasing total lumens output. On high beam the Dual Halogen headlamp offers better punch and spread than the Daymaker LED headlamp, but does not offer the bright, white color quality of the LED. The Dual Halogen headlamp is paired with halogen fog lamps on models so equipped. Dual Halogen lighting is Original Equipment on 2014 Road King, Street Glide and Street Glide Special Harley-Davidson motorcycle models.
- Improved Front Suspension: All 2014 Harley-Davidson Touring models are equipped with new front suspension components, including larger fork sliders and stiffer triple clamps, that provide improved steering response. Fork diameter is increased from 43.1mm to 49mm (14 percent). The steering stem is supported by larger bearings. Suspension damping has been re-tuned for a smoother ride over minor pavement irregularities like tar strips.
Harley-Davidson Motor Company produces heavyweight custom, cruiser and touring motorcycles and offers a complete line of Harley-Davidson motorcycle parts, accessories, riding gear and apparel, and general merchandise. For more information, visit Harley-Davidson's website at www.h-d.com/rushmore.