The Motor Maids of America received its charter from the American Motorcycle Association in 1941, shortly after it was founded by Linda Dugeau and Dot Robinson. The motorcycle club started out with 51 members, the only requirement for membership being that a woman had to own and ride her own motorcycle. Today the Motor Maids has over 1200 members and is the oldest women’s motorcycle club. The club offers a way for women motorcyclists all over the United States and Canada to meet and ride together. The first Motor Maids convention was held on May 27, 1944 and annual conventions continue to be held every July. They participate in parades and other motorcycle events and are recognizable by their distinct uniform with white gloves. This photo shows members at an event in 1967.
Check out the Motor Maid uniforms and photos on exhibit in the Clubs and Competition gallery at the Harley-Davidson Museum.