The specs: 45 ci sidevalve engine with 3-speed handshift transmission, painted Teak Red and Black. It has a permanently attached tubular towbar that was used to pull the vehicle behind an automobile. “Cat’s eye” instrument panel, which was new in 1939. A total of 320 Model Gs were built in 1939.
Servi-Cars were popular vehicles because they could be used to deliver a variety of goods and services. Harley-Davidson built them for over 30 years, and the first bike with an electric start was actually a Servi-Car in 1964.
The story: This motorcycle was purchased new in 1938 by John A. Stanton of Babylong, NY for use in his Dodge-Plymouth dealership as a pick-up and delivery vehicle. It is believed he closed the dealership in 1948 because that is the year of the license plate. The motorcycle has original paint with the lettering of the dealership still legible on the fenders and box.
The vehicle remained in the family and was donated to the Archives in 1998 by Stanton's daughter and grandson. It is currently on display on the upper level of the museum in an area dedicated to service vehicles