Concord, Ontario (January 21, 2011) - Dark Custom™ Softail® Motorcycle Features New Fuel Tank Styling and Split Drag™ Handlebars
Lean as wire, hard as iron, and dark as a tar road at midnight, the new Blackline™ motorcycle is a Harley-Davidson® Softail® model pared to the bone. A rebellious creation of the Dark Custom™ movement, the Blackline™ model celebrates three fundamental elements of motorcycling: mechanical beauty, internal combustion, and the long black line of the road ahead.
The Blackline™ motorcycle balances allegiance with rebellion, discarding previous conventions of colour and chrome for a Dark Custom™ look that is honest, functional, and attainable. Visual elements of the original bobber movement are combined with the raw, hand-hewn style embraced by today’s young builders. The Blackline™ motorcycle, available in Canada at a MSRP of $17,149, throws new fuel on a fire that burns across generations: an unquenchable desire to ride.
Lean and Tight
Stripped to the legal limit, the Blackline™ motorcycle keeps decorative trim and lighting sparse. The rear fender is bobbed high and tight over a slim, 144-mm tire that emphasizes an authentic hard-tail profile. The compact headlight and speedometer are tucked low into the wide, FX front end, and there is just enough shine to make the black parts look blacker. Black-rimmed laced wheels complete a look that is tough, tempered, and undeniably typical of the Harley-Davidson® Brand.
The styling spotlight shines on a Big Twin engine dressed in black and silver, and on a fuel tank shaved smooth and low. Aboard the Blackline™ bike, the rider hugs the frame on the lowest two-up seat ever offered by Harley-Davidson Motor Company, and reaches high for new Split Drag™ handlebars that are bolted right to the top triple-clamp.
The Softail® chassis uses rear suspension control provided by coil-over shock absorbers mounted horizontally along the frame rails below the powertrain, where they are kept out of sight. So while the swingarm section replicates the lines of a vintage hard-tail frame, the Blackline™ motorcycle delivers suspension performance and handling that are thoroughly modern. The internally counter-balanced Twin Cam 96B™ engine is rigid-mounted within the frame, creating a solid connection between rider and power that moves the motorcycle to enhance the emotional riding experience.
Key features of the 2011 Blackline™ motorcycle include:
- NEW Powertrain styling.
- The powertrain is finished with a gloss black powder coating on the rocker box covers, the crankcase, the outer primary cover, and the transmission side cover. The cylinders have a silver powder coating with machined highlights. The derby cover and timing covers are chromed.
- Rigid-mounted, counter-balanced Twin Cam 96B™ V-Twin engine with Electronic Sequential Port Fuel Injection (ESPFI), rated at 89 ft. lbs., peak torque at 3,250 rpm.
- Six-speed Cruise Drive™ transmission.
- NEW Round air cleaner cover in brilliant chrome.
- NEW Black Denim powder-coated frame and swingarm.
- NEW Profile laced aluminum wheels with black anodized rims. Front wheel is 21 x 2.15 inches; rear wheel is 16 x 3 inches. Dunlop® D402 tires are MH90-21 front and MU85B16 rear.
- NEW FX front end with black powder-coated triple clamps and black painted fork lowers.
- NEW Split Drag™ internally wired handlebars mount directly to the top triple clamp.
- NEW Asymmetric five-gallon Softail® fuel tank is clean on the left side, with a low-profile fuel fill on the right. Die-cast Blackline™ trim panel flowing down the centre of the tank is just high enough to cover the fuel pump hardware.
- NEW Analogue speedometer on a triple-clamp mount that also holds indicator lights. LCD screen on the speedometer includes low-fuel warning and “kilometres to empty” display function.
- The Canadian configuration features a new bobbed rear fender with centre mounted LED tail light and licence plate illuminator, along with a new composite licence plate holder mounted on the lower edge of the fender.
- NEW Raw forged rear fender supports are finished in Black Denim powder coating.
- NEW One-piece, two-up seat and passenger pillion. Laden rider seat height is 24 inches, the lowest two-up seat offered by Harley-Davidson. The gap between the nose of the seat and the fuel tank exposes the top of the frame.
- NEW 5.75-inch diameter headlamp in a glossy black shell.
- Polished forward foot controls.
- Over/under chrome shotgun exhaust.
- Optional security package with anti-lock braking system and Smart Security System.
About Deeley Harley-Davidson® Canada
Deeley Harley-Davidson® Canada is the exclusive Canadian distributor of Harley-Davidson® motorcycles, Genuine Motor Parts and Accessories, and MotorClothes® apparel, which are provided through a national network of authorized Harley-Davidson® Retailers. Office and distribution warehouse facilities are located in Richmond, British Columbia, and Concord, Ontario.