Concord, Ontario (July 20, 2011) - With Detachable Hard Bags and Windshield – the Switchback Motorcycle is Two Bikes in One
The new Dyna® Switchback motorcycle from Harley-Davidson Motor Company is a quick-change artist. With colour-matched hard saddlebags and a fork-mounted windshield in place, the Switchback motorcycle is a custom touring motorcycle. But in seconds, the detachable saddlebags and quick-detach windshield can be removed without tools. Now the Switchback motorcycle is a custom street cruiser with a gleaming headlamp nacelle, five-spoke cast-aluminium wheels, and a mini-ape handlebar. When it is time to head out for a long weekend, simply reinstall the saddlebags and windshield and the Switchback motorcycle is ready to roll for the state line.
The Switchback motorcycle is powered by a muscular Twin Cam 103™ V-Twin engine that delivers strong performance on the boulevard and on the highway. The Switchback motorcycle is the lightest custom touring motorcycle in its displacement category. At 718 pounds it is ready to ride and 94 pounds lighter than a Harley- Davidson® Road King® motorcycle. New front-end geometry, premium suspension components, and a lowprofile front tire give the Switchback motorcycle a plush ride and responsive handling at a suggested Canadian Retail price of $17,559.
“The new front end geometry, wheel and tire specs, and cartridge fork are engineered to work together to produce steering that’s light to input and immediately responsive,” states Brian Scherbarth, Harley-Davidson® Product Engineer. “A demo ride will reveal that [the] Switchback [motorcycle] is a capable touring motorcycle that’s also really fun to ride.”
Designed to look great with or without its saddlebags, the Switchback motorcycle is styled to evoke a classic proportion and clean straight lines, from its 4.7-gallon fuel tank to the sweep of its full-coverage rear fenders. The bend of the mini-ape handlebar and its pull-back riser, full-length rider footboards, and two-up touring seat offer most riders all-day comfort.Key Dyna® Switchback Motorcycle Features
- The Twin Cam 103™ engine with 103 cid (1,690 cc), rubber-mounted within the frame, is rated at 100 ft. lbs. of torque at 3,500 rpm. The engine is equipped with Electronic Sequential Port Fuel Injection (ESPFI) and is mated to a 6-speed Cruise Drive™ transmission.
- The 2-in-1 chrome exhaust with straight-cut muffler is tuned for a deep exhaust tone.
- The advanced suspension is tuned for comfort and precise handling. The nitrogen-charged, mono-tube rear shocks have preload-adjustable, dual-rate springs. A 41.3 mm front fork with a 20 mm cartridge delivers enhanced damping performance, handling, and rider comfort.
- The low-profile Dunlop® 130/70B18 front tire and specific front-end geometry provide reduced steering effort, enhanced steering response, and confident low-speed manoeuvring.
- The colour-matched detachable hard saddlebags have a combined luggage capacity of 30 pounds. The saddlebag locks are common to the ignition key, and external latches do not interfere with packing and reduce usable bag volume.
- Quick-detach, fork-mounted windshield.
- The black, five-spoke cast-aluminium wheels have machine-highlighted rims: 18-inch front, 17-inch rear.
- Full-coverage front and rear fenders.
- Chrome headlamp nacelle.
- Chrome fork covers and chrome rear shock covers.
- Chrome tank console with integrated ignition switch.
- Classic black battery box cover.
- Full-length rider footboards.
- The one-piece, two-up seat features custom stitched detailing. Seat height (laden) is 26.1 inches. Its narrow cross-section enables flat-foot stops for most riders.
- The Security Package option bundles Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS) and the Smart Security System, with a proximity-based, hands-free security fob.
- Stainless steel, mini-ape-hanger handlebar on pull-back riser.
- 4.7-gallon fuel tank.
About Deeley Harley-Davidson® Canada
Deeley Harley-Davidson® Canada is the exclusive Canadian distributor of Harley-Davidson® motorcycles, Genuine Motor Parts and Accessories, and MotorClothes® apparel, which are provided through a national network of authorized Harley-Davidson® Retailers. Office and distribution warehouse facilities are located in Richmond, British Columbia, and Concord, Ontario. Please visit www.harleycanada.com for further information on Harley-Davidson® products in Canada.